- All 5 Beethoven Piano Concertos, with pre-recorded orchestras.
This is an unusual concert but made more so by the 5 participants.
Murray has an international career, teaches at both RNCM and Chetham’s, writes for International Piano and in particular has been the teacher of Yuanfan Yang.
We have a further 4 members of the McLachlan family, including Murray’s wife, Kathryn. The 3 younger McLachlans are students at Chetham’s.
- Beethoven: Sonata in E flat, Op. 7
- David Matthews: Two Dionysus Dithyrambs, Op. 94
- G Ligeti: Two Etudes
- Y. Yang: Waves and Prayers of the North
- Chopin: Sonata no. 3 in B minor, Op. 58
- 1st prize Cleveland International Piano Competition, 2015
- 1st prize Liszt Competition, Weimar, 2014
- 1st prize Keyboard BBC Young Musician, 2012
I first heard Yuanfan in 2010 when he was the winner in the James Mottram under-19 piano competition at RNCM.
The next occasion was at the practice session for last year’s Chethams concert with the Elgar Quintet.
I went only to the practice but on hearing Yuanfan try out La Campanella on our piano during a lull in proceedings knew immediately that I had to bring him to Rhyl as a soloist.
Yuanfan is also a composer so who knows where his future career will develop.
Soloist: David Shaw, violin Jeremy Huw Williams baritone
- Arcangelo Corelli Concerto Grosso in G minor, Op.6 No.8 “Christmas Concerto”
- Béla Bartók Rumanian Folk Dances
- J S Bach Concerto for violin No. 2 in E major,
- Joseph Davies Echoes (1st performance)
- Gustav Holst St. Paul’s Suite
This orchestra usually includes about 20 performers under the baton of Anthony Hose, a conductor with great international experience.
At present Anthony works at Stetson University in Florida and I have yet to establish what would make him return to the UK in December when he could be enjoying the sunshine state. Anyway, his return to North Wales is our gain.
As part of our commitment to young musicians we ensure that they are provided with opportunities to develop their careers with our support and David Shaw has been and will continue to be a regular visitor to the club.
- Brahms F minor from Op. 120 Hindemith Op. 11 No. 4
- Krein 3 songs Beethoven piano sonata
Tonight’s pianist took the place of Alex Karpeyev who had played in Rhyl previously.
Marisa made her debut playing Prokofiev’s 1st Piano Concerto with the Houston Symphony Orchestra and has been the recipient of numerous awards including top prizes at the International Concours Maria Canals in Barcelona, the Viotti Competition in Vercelli, a Fulbright Scholarship for studies in the UK, a Solti Foundation Award, and first prize in the Haverhill Sinfonia Soloist’s Competition.
Adam Newman is part of an ensemble which includes Brian O’Kane. Adam enjoys working with the London Steve Reich Ensemble, who recently recorded for the CPO label in Zurich, Switzerland, the European Union Chamber Orchestra and the English Chamber Orchestra. He is also a founding member of the Cappa Quartet and Ensemble, with whom he performs regularly. Adam plays on a Ceruti viola c.1800 which is kindly on loan from the Royal Academy of Music.