- Jonathan: Dowland, Tansman, Tarrega and others
- Syrinx: from Elizabethan to jazz
- Jonathan + Syrinx: Vivaldi guitar concerto
Jonathan is an accomplished guitarist who has visited us many times over the years and tonight he returns with music extending from the Elizabethan age through to the early 20th century jazz period.
Syrinx is composed of Catherine Robinson (Director), Alan Collins, Carolyn Sherlock and Joy Shutt.
- Haydn: Sonata in Eflat major No 59
- Liszt: Sonetto Del Petrarca 104
- Ravel: Gaspard de la Nuit (with poetry)
- Scarlatti: Sonata K29 in D major
- Rachmaninov: Étude-Tableau No 5
- Glinka-Balakirev: The Lark
- Bartok: Étude No 1
- Beethoven: Sonata Pathetique
Following her performance here last year with brothers Sheku and Braimah, Isata returns with two of her piano-playing sisters from this incredible family.
Before each movement of the Ravel we will have the relevant poem by Aloysius Bertrand which inspired Ravel to write this music and club member Denis Pithon will help us to understand why.
- Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue for soprano, alto and tenor saxophone and piano
- Debussy: Rhapsodie for alto saxophone and piano
- Grieg: (violin) sonata op.8
- Lauba Christian: Jungle for solo alto saxophone
- Vitali Tomaso: Chaconne in G minor
- Vivancos Bernat: Moustik’s Etude
- Albeniz: Suite Española op.47 – # 1 Granada, #5 Asturias, #3 Sevilla
- Iturralde Pedro: Pequeña Czarda
The highly gifted saxophonist on the prestigious Making Music AYCA scheme is joined by the equally impressive Kaoli from the Conservatoire de Lyon.
Jonathan attended Chethams, obtained his MA in Paris where he was the first British saxophonist to enter Claude Delangle’s world famous class and now continues his studies at the Royal College of Music.
Kaoli Ono has just completed her repetiteur studies at the Paris Conservatoire including a year in Berlin.
- W.A.Mozart: piano concertos 9, 12, 13, 14
Rose, Matthew, Callum and Murraydemonstrate their pianistic prowess in transcriptions of four of Mozart’s piano concertos and Elizaveta Saul brings her quartet with three ex-Chetham’s students who performed the Schumann Quintet recently.
We as a club offer them an unusual opportunity while they give us fantastic music.
- Bach-Busoni: Prelude and Fugue in D major, BWV 532
- Medtner: Sonata in B flat major “Sonata Romantica”, Op 53 No 1
- Beethoven: Sonata No 28 in A, op. 101
- Liszt: Transcendental Etudes nos 8-9
Last season’s great find, the outstanding Ukrainian pianist has been performing in Europe and the USA under the “András Schiff Presents” banner.
We re-booked her immediately!
The Liszt means that we will have heard more than half of the Transcendentals in her two concerts.
Soloists: Jeremy Huw Williams baritone, Ellis Thomas piano
- Programme: Divertimento in F major, K138 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- The Dark Island Grace Williams Prologue
- Piano Concerto in D Minor BWV 1052 Johann Sebastian Bach
- ‘The Soul’s Expression’ Eleanor Alberga
- Hobed o Hilion William Mathias
- Capriol Suite Peter Warlock
Anthony has a long connection to our club. Tonight he brings with him both a well established singer and a rising young, and “local”, pianist whose musical career we are following with great interest.